Sunday 28 April 2013

Closer to the end of the school year.


I got so excited making this big plate that reason flew out the window. I really should of put the lighter red clay in the middle to avoid the splitting due to different shrinking. Nothing to do now but wait and hope that I get lucky.




I am quite pleased how this slump mold bowl has turned out. I actually really love the color that it is now but the light terracotta that will come out once it has fired is lovely too. Placing the patterned slabs in in different directions makes the pattern more random. Happy with that. I'll leave the outer side not scraped so one can see the hidden beauty. Once you peel back hazy everyday muck, the real thing in all it's beauty comes alive.






My twin bowls. They are cut from the same slab of marbled clay. I must say my shoulders were well sore after kneading that patch. I can feel the earth looking at these pieces. It was such a pleasure making them.




The spoons are complimenting the bowls nicely and it was a great way to use up some leftover pieces.


Spoonrests finally out of the kiln. It is always a lovely surprise to see how the products come out in the end. Kind of makes you not be so experienced that you are sure about outcome. Then again I have feeling that with ceramics I will always have that surprise/ giddy moment when opening the kiln.


Some try outs for raw glazing.




These little guys are called cones. They are used to measure heat inside of the kiln.
The cones are made of different clay and melt on certain temperature. This is one accurate way to insure that you know both bottom and top shelf heat.



My variation of spoon rests. Well they are actually plates :)


No comments:

Post a Comment