Tuesday 16 April 2013

So far.


Before starting to make vessels with two different clay types it is important to keep in mind that they shrink differently. So to keep them from not cracking I mixed some white earthenware and red together wedging them thoroughly. This way I still keep some of that lovely color and pieces stay intact.
So here is some of my own work.These are marbled thrown bowls. It was a lot of fun to create these. Clay really does come to life.





This little one lost it's shape as the bottom part must of been too thin. I decided that I liked the shape anyhow and let it slope down properly. This piece has not been cleaned yet. All the mucky brown will be scraped off leaving beautiful marbled effect as seen on the bowl above.



Another first timers tryout. A bit floppy but, well, it adds to the character.





This little bowl was pressed on a mold that had lovely bumpy texture. I left the inside as it was and scraped the outer side smooth and clean. I added also a little rim at the bottom for balance.






A plate shaped on a mold. Marbled earthenware clay.



A try out little lady.






Attempt on attaching layers of  clay to make a plate.

And here is how it came out. Learning curve: make sure the clay is not too dry before placing layers together or use slip.




No comments:

Post a Comment