Thursday 28 February 2013

Last response for sculpture elctive

At this point I have read a little more about Magdalene Laundry's than I expected to. I have kind of moved away from doing research on the other artists and rather poked in not so distant past.  The fear, pain, hopelessness... Mental and physical abuse, day in day out and in many cases a loss of your child. How can we be so cruel. Years ago I did some research on the topic of Chinese lotus feet. I could not comprehend how the mothers could mutilate their own daughters in the name of being accepted in the society. Well, every nation has its crazy history and plain out idiotic views of what is right and wrong. I wonder if it is even possible to find this perfect medium where one can live  in peace without  making everybody else around miserable.

So here is my response on the topic of the Magdalene Laundry's and the history of our school which used to be one between 1888-1994.










 
 

Materials used: bed sheet, sugar solution, acrylic paint mixed with coffee grains, wooden stand and a bowl.


The trees remember. 

One could say that watching the paint dry is the most boring thing in the world...maybe... I like the conversation the materials are having, the tension between the colors. I am attempting to freeze in the fabric the memory of what happened to it. The power tainting, corrupting the mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDhnnLgLubw&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment