Tuesday 26 February 2013

The Magdalene Laundry.

The house remembers!
The trees remember!
The ground remembers!

What was it like?


"It is not easy to stand outside the mainstream and to continue to press for the truth, but we know this is the way in which human rights defenders undertake their work in every country around the world."






— Dr. Maurice Manning, President, Irish Human Rights Commission (9 Nov. 2010)





http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/2013Magdalen-P%20I%20Chapter%203%20History%20(PDF%20-%203824KB).pdf/Files/2013Magdalen-P%20I%20Chapter%203%20History%20(PDF%20-%203824KB).pdf



Sex in cold climate
 
This is a documentary I watched that talks about Magdalene laundry's. The cruelty and abuse the girls had to endure is something I can't even imagine. They were mentally, sexually and physically abused. Overworked, confused and confined with no hope to better your life. Last Magdalene laundry was only closed in 1996 which is just few years ago. I do understand how some rules and regulations are needed to keep order but in my opinion churches and politics are just not humane.
I am bad at articulating my opinions so anybody with further interest about this matter please watch the documentary at following address.
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. thats very interestng , Monika, I wonder is the spiral stairs still there. havent seen it if it is. I heard some strange groans comming from sculpture direction today. It might have been the ghost of one of the nuns when she saw all the condoms filled with water "Arrg" She said" every bloody sculpture elective someone fills condoms with water"

    ReplyDelete